Friday, March 4, 2011

Different Metals...Make a Difference!

Seems like a simple concept doesn't it, but it isn't usually till you see things in action that you realize how a small change has a big impact on the overall look of the same items. What do I mean exactly? Well, I have been using a lot of vintage jewels in my jewelry designs lately and I LOVE them. They are pretty, sparkly, affordable and have a little history built into them. It's kind of cool to add these pieces to my jewelry knowing they have been around for awhile either sitting waiting in a warehouse somewhere to be discovered, or they have already lived some life and are now being re-purposed .

I love the look of antiqued brass and the way it combines so well with the vintage jewels, but not everyone likes that look, plus I also wear a lot of silver jewelry myself, so I have been finding more jewels set in silver plated brass. I have found it rather amazing, how by simply putting the same color, size, and cut jewels in two completely different settings gives such a different look. The vintage jewels are still the same of course, but the setting have a big impact on the overall look.

I have posted several pictures here of jewels in the same sizes, cuts and colors.. the only difference is one is set in antiqued brass, the other in silver plated brass. Take a look and you'll see what I mean. I like having the option to offer the jewels in both metals. I wear them both and find they both go with anything. For those with a strong preference one way or the other, you have choices! I still find more things in antiqued brass than silver, but I have a supplier I am working with to get more variety. You'll see more of both versions, along with necklaces and bracelets in both metal options in my Etsy shop, Juniper Gems in the weeks and months to come. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: